Vintage Supermarkets in Movies and TV (Old Ones Only Please)

This is the place for general and miscellaneous posts on topics which might extend past the boundaries of any specific region.

Moderator: Groceteria

LadyNoir
Contributor

Re: Vintage Supermarkets in Movies and TV (Old Ones Only Ple

Post by LadyNoir »

Jeffrey55 wrote:The logo used in the 1970s was this one: http://www.flickr.com/photos/10073060@N00/3295378938/. Is that the one you saw in the movie? !
Bingo! That's the logo that was used in the film. Oh, you Jersey boys always trying to take down hits in the Stop and Shop parking lot.
GaryED44
Contributor

Re: Vintage Supermarkets in Movies and TV (Old Ones Only Ple

Post by GaryED44 »

Market Basket in 1st episode of Police Woman

Around ten minutes into the episode We see a gang of bank robbers meeting on a elevated parking area (maybe a BofA) and right across the street is a Market Basket and what seems to be a Drive-in Theatre Can anyone identify where this may have been it was in LA someplace.

thanks
Gary
Groceteria
Great Pumpkin

Re: Vintage Supermarkets in Movies and TV (Old Ones Only Please)

Post by Groceteria »

Any guesses on this Safeway combo from "Bob and Carol and Ted and Alice" (1969)?
Screen Shot 2018-04-08 at 1.50.23 PM.jpg
Screen Shot 2018-04-08 at 1.52.15 PM.jpg
klkla
Veteran

Post by klkla »

I don't know for sure but it looks a lot like the old Venice location. That was a fairly typical design for Safeway at the time.
mikeparkridge
Contributor

Post by mikeparkridge »

Anyone know the supermarket where the pilot for Police Story was filmed?
Bluelightspecial

Post by Bluelightspecial »

Pretty sure that is the old Venice store on Lincoln Ave. It is now a Whole Foods
Groceteria
Great Pumpkin

Post by Groceteria »

Bluelightspecial wrote:Pretty sure that is the old Venice store on Lincoln Ave. It is now a Whole Foods
Actually, I was able to dive back into the movie and see the corner of a street sign, and now I'm 99% certain it's the current Pavilions at Melrose and Vine.
klkla
Veteran

Post by klkla »

Groceteria wrote:Actually, I was able to dive back into the movie and see the corner of a street sign, and now I'm 99% certain it's the current Pavilions at Melrose and Vine.
Interesting. I don't remember that El Taco. I'm assuming it would have been where the mini mall across the street is now located? But that would only make sense if the orientation of the sign was changed.
Groceteria
Great Pumpkin

Post by Groceteria »

klkla wrote:Interesting. I don't remember that El Taco. I'm assuming it would have been where the mini mall across the street is now located? But that would only make sense if the orientation of the sign was changed.
Actually, I think it would have been the restaurant across the street on Melrose (rather than Vine). Per Google Street View, it was recently a Mexican place and is now maybe a trendy looking burger place. This would be the closest approximation of the view:

https://goo.gl/maps/hcLNTRmFc1S2

The street sign showed the 5800 block of ---rose Avenue, and this is the 5800 block of Melrose, so that seems to mark it pretty well.
klkla
Veteran

Post by klkla »

Sounds like the mystery is solved.
Groceteria
Great Pumpkin

Post by Groceteria »

mikeparkridge wrote:Anyone know the supermarket where the pilot for Police Story was filmed?
No guesses on the location, but it was definitely an Alpha-Beta.

Episode is on YouTube here: https://youtu.be/MT31ocB7Mq8

Based on a thread I found somewhere else, I'm thinking it may be North Hollywood, due to the Pizza Prince location. Apparently an episode of CHiPs had a scene in the same center.
klkla
Veteran

Post by klkla »

At 17:50 in the video when someone walks outside the door you can see an address of '900' on the window above the door. Don't know if that helps. Also as they walk to the right there is a Ho Ho Liquors (but they could have changed the name for the show).
Groceteria
Great Pumpkin

Post by Groceteria »

klkla wrote:At 17:50 in the video when someone walks outside the door you can see an address of '900' on the window above the door.
Excellent catch! There was an Alpha Beta at 900 W. Alameda in Burbank per my 1973 list, so I bet that's it!

Current street view: https://goo.gl/maps/HCorXXAjCpP2
klkla
Veteran

Post by klkla »

Groceteria wrote:Excellent catch! There was an Alpha Beta at 900 W. Alameda in Burbank per my 1973 list, so I bet that's it!

Current street view: https://goo.gl/maps/HCorXXAjCpP2
I think you are right. That has to be it. The way the entrances are set up remain the same even though the building's appearance has been heavily modified.

You can see the sign from this image taken from Rockford files:
http://rockfordfilesfilminglocations.bl ... o-cut.html

The Pickwick Drive In Theater shown on that page is the current location for Pavilions, which replaced a Vons across the street in 1992 (which is now a AAA office).
Andrew T.
Veteran

Post by Andrew T. »

It may just be a background drawing...but the "Super-Duper Market" from the 1954 Warner Bros. cartoon Wild Wife is an almost-perfect encapsulation of the most appealing trends in supermarket architecture from that era:
superdupermkt.jpg
"The pale pastels which have been featured in most food stores during the past 20 years are no longer in tune with the mood of the 1970s."
Andrew Turnbull