Shopping Bag Food Stores In Southern California

Uh...California.

Moderator: Groceteria

jtaylor79

Re: Shopping Bag Food Stores In Southern California

Post by jtaylor79 »

luckysaver wrote:Here is Chad's original list updated with cross-streets and current occupants of the listed locations:

1000 E Valley Blvd, Alhambra/WEST OF NEW - FAZIO/ABS GROCERY WAREHOUSE-MAX FOODS-Lucky by Supervalu
300 W Main St, Alhambra/THIRD - Super A Foods
2408 Lincoln Ave, Altadena/FIGUEROA DR - (closed '73, was bombed by CLF) - LACT CHURCH
9927 Katella, Anaheim/BROOKHURST - Albertsons
1407 S Baldwin, Arcadia/NAOMI - DEMOLISHED/Super S store?/Savon DRUGS-CVS PHARMACY.
2150 N Glenoaks, Burbank/SCOTT - Demolished/SPLIT SHOPPING CENTER/MASONIC LODGE
Naval Weapons Center, China Lake
This location probably served the military families that lived on the base.
960 W Arrow Hwy, Covina/CA39 AZUSA AVE - MAX FOODS/GIGANTE
Firestone and Lakewood, Downey - Big Lots?
11039 E Valley Blvd, El Monte/TYLER - SPLIT SHOPPING CENTER/FINANCIAL SERVICES
16823 Foothill Blvd, Fontana/SIERRA - UHAUL/AMERICAN SELF STORAGE
1845 W Orangethorpe, Fullerton/BROOKHURST - 99CENTS ONLY
2904 N Brea St (Blvd), Fullerton/ROLLING HILLS - FIRST EVANGELICAL FREE CHURCH
331 N Glendale Ave, Glendale/CALIFORNIA - ALBERTSONS/WHOLE FOODS
Albertsons probably sold this location as part of the American Stores merger. I'll have to
check my list.
515 W Broadway, Glendale/PACIFIC - OFFICE DEPOT
517 S Glendora Ave, Glendora/RTE66 - Demolished for Albertsons? - STORAGE YARD/SPLIT/VACANT
City council recently had a conditional use permit hearing/future use on this lot.
920 Foothill Blvd, La Canada/EAST OF CA2 (ANGELES CREST HIGHWAY), PAC MOUNTAIN SPORTS/SPORT CHALET
3100 Foothill, La Crescenta/EAST OF PENNSYLVANIA - ORCHARD SUPPLY HARDWARE
1611 W Whittier Blvd, La Habra/HACIENDA - 99CENTS-KRAGEN AUTO PARTS/SPLIT SHOPPING CENTER
1111 Avenue I, Lancaster - ABS MAX FOODS GROCERY WAREHOUSE
15421 Amar Rd, La Puente/HACIENDA - FAZIO'S/SPLIT SHOPPING CENTER
part of the old side signage is there. About 25% of the building is a dental/medical
clinic.
140 W Foothill Blvd, Monrovia/MYRTLE - STARBUCKS COFFEE
127 N Garfield, Monterey Park/GARVEY - FAZIO'S/HONG KONG SUPERMARKET
earlier post mentioned that it was a one-time skating rink?
2280 Atlantic Blvd, Monterey Park/RIGGIN - SPLIT SHOPPING CENTER. STAPLES?
earlier post mentioned this being an Albertsons
815 E Avenue Q-6, Palmdale/SIERRA HWY - CITY OF PALMDALE PARKS/RECREATION HEADQUARTERS
3841 E Sierra Madre, Pasadena/MICHILLINDA - ALBERTSONS or ALBERTSONS-SAVON
451 S Sierra Madre, Pasadena/SAN PASCUAL - SAVON DRUGS-CVS PHARMACY
457 S Fair Oaks, Pasadena/BELLEVUE - NA
9130 E Whittier Blvd, Pico Rivera/CA19 ROSEMEAD BLVD - GIGANTE/SUPERIOR?
127 N. San Dimas Canyon, San Dimas/BONITA - NA. Civic Center Park?
8325 Foothill Blvd, Sunland/ORO VISTA - KRAGEN AUTO PARTS/SPLIT SHOPPING CENTER
304 E Foothill, Upland - DEMOLISHED/VALERO GAS STATION
913 S Glendora Ave, West Covina/N OF VINE - SPLIT SHOPPING CENTER
2470 N. Towne Ave, Pomona/ARROW - NA
1170 W. Garvey Blvd, West Covina - NA. Possibly the shopping center at Hollenbeck Ave.
2200 W. Valley Blvd, Alhambra/DATE - JACMAR PACIFIC PLAZA
1201 W. Whittier Blvd, Montebello/GREENWOOD - Demolished/Tianguis 80's/Superior.
2270 Huntington Drive, San Marino/SAN MARINO AVE - Demolished/WASHINGTON MUTUAL BANK (WAMU)
2256 Honolulu Ave, Montrose/OCEAN VIEW - GOUDAS & VINES AMERICAN RESTAURANT
44816 N. Beech Ave, Lancaster/LANCASTER - NA
2222 Colorado Blvd, Eagle Rock - WALGREENS PHARMACY

ABS stands for Albertsons.
Locations denoted NA means the lot is still there on the Google Satellite but a Google search of that address shows up no current tenant.

luckysaver
So I know this post is a little old but I want to kind of add something to it and hope there is some light shed on this....first of all, I am doing a small history project in the City that live in. In the City of Pico Rivera, we had a Shopping Bag Food Store located on Washington and Passons Boulevard. What I want to know is how long did that store operate and from what years?? The building still stands today and is currently a Big Saver Foods. As well, the address given at the above list, 9130 E. Whittier Boulevard, was that at any time a Shopping Bag as well? The current market building that exists there today was built in the mid 80's as part of a massive redevelopment project here in the City. The current tenant is a Superior Market. Prior to that it was a Gigante Supermarket (Supermarket Chain from Mexico), and prior to that it was Max Foods, a warehouse type store from Albertsons. Thanks!
pseudo3d
Veteran

Post by pseudo3d »

That list is definitely out of date; I don't think any Albertsons exist from the Shopping Bag days anymore. The Sierra Madre store closed a few years ago, there's only one picture of the inside from Yelp, and it looks like an ancient store that wasn't touched since before the blue-and-gray era.
Grog

Post by Grog »

I lived across the street from the Shopping Bag located at Brookhurst & Katella in Anaheim from '57-'77. Used to bring a bag of tv tubes to the store to test on their tube-tester-what fun! Bought many a model to build in the '60's when that hobby was popular, as well as Hardy Boys series and Tom Swift Jr. novels.😎
Grog

Post by Grog »

I believe that Shopping Bag on Katella is still an Albertsons's...
Dcurt63

Post by Dcurt63 »

Earlier in this topic dennis438 mentioned a Mr. Hayden. That would be Mr. Rube Hayden who, along with Mr. W.D. Rorex, founded Shopping Bag Grocery around 1930. Mr. Hayden was from the small town of Fancy Farm, KY. He provided jobs for young men from his hometown that came west during the Depression. One of those men was my father who worked at Mr. Hayden’s store after he graduated High School in 1934. My father and a few buddies came to L.A. from Fancy Farm as Mr. Hayden had promised them jobs if they could get out there. I was wondering if any old photos of the original store existed that my father worked in.
Attached is Mr. Hayden’s obituary from 1990.
Attachments
Rube Hayden Obit Part 1
Rube Hayden Obit Part 1
Rube Hayden Obit Part 2
Rube Hayden Obit Part 2
rich
Veteran

Post by rich »

The store on Baldwin in Arcadia was a long running Sav-On and now subdivided into CVS and Aldi. It was a large store as a Sav-On with a wall running almost front to back on one side---that demarcated the health & beauty/Rx side from the liquor and general merchandise side. My guess is that it was always a Sav-On on one side and was a Shopping Bag on the other. Even before the acquisition by CVS, it seemed like they reached a point where they didn't know how to merchandise the GM side, while they remodeled the H&B/Rx side.
Andrew T.
Veteran

Post by Andrew T. »

Dcurt63 wrote: 18 Mar 2020 01:00 Earlier in this topic dennis438 mentioned a Mr. Hayden. That would be Mr. Rube Hayden who, along with Mr. W.D. Rorex, founded Shopping Bag Grocery around 1930. Mr. Hayden was from the small town of Fancy Farm, KY. He provided jobs for young men from his hometown that came west during the Depression. One of those men was my father who worked at Mr. Hayden’s store after he graduated High School in 1934. My father and a few buddies came to L.A. from Fancy Farm as Mr. Hayden had promised them jobs if they could get out there. I was wondering if any old photos of the original store existed that my father worked in.
Backtracking to the post in question...
dennis438 wrote: 18 Mar 2017 12:14 Although another posted here that a Shopping Bag existed in 1930 I never saw it. During WWII there was just one, on Colorado in the Eagle Rock neighborhood. Not long after the war's end another opened about 2 miles east, again on Colorado. A Mr. Hayden, a member of our church, was either the owner or one of the top officials. In 1949 and 1950 Mr Hayden allowed me to use one of his Shopping Bag trucks to take kids in our Boy Scout troop various places on weekends. (Big thrill, driving that truck at only 18!). In 1951 I went into the military - when I returned Shopping Bag had multiplied, Mr. Hayden had moved from the Eagle Rock neighborhood to San Marino, and I lost track of the old neighborhood.
I searched Google for "Eagle Rock historical photos," and as luck would have it the very first thing that came up was this circa-1940s photo taken on Colorado with a Shopping Bag Market sign in the background. Not sure if this was the original store, but it might be.

The Los Angeles Public Library might have some images of the neighbourhood in its history and geneology collection, or other resources such as newspaper microfilms that might help.
"The pale pastels which have been featured in most food stores during the past 20 years are no longer in tune with the mood of the 1970s."
Andrew Turnbull
Dcurt63

Post by Dcurt63 »

After more research, I found some information regarding the original Shopping Bag Store opened in El Monte, CA in 1930. Attached is a photo of the Grand Opening. The photo was found in the “History of St. Jerome Fancy Farm, Kentucky 1836-1986”. Mr. Hayden was born in Fancy Farm, KY. Also attached is the entire article contained in the book.
Attachments
8BF2635C-E37D-42C7-8EE8-556F7678E1C1.jpeg
F429181D-2FFC-40FE-BD48-6AC3309976E6.jpeg
Dcurt63

Post by Dcurt63 »

In an earlier post I mentioned my father had worked in a Shopping Bag Store for Mr. Rube Hayden until WWII broke out and he joined the Navy. After getting out of the Navy and moving back to Fancy Farm, KY, my father brought some of his belongings back in some wooden fruit crates (see pictures below). I assume that these fruit crates would have come from fruit deliveries to the store. Does anyone have any ideas of the California Fruit Exchange. I’m sorry if this topic has been discussed before on this site.
Attachments
DC3B9BB0-ABA3-4ADE-8917-8777C285B9D8.jpeg
FB74E6F7-1449-4994-97E0-1AC2386B8D56.jpeg
489E7434-D11C-4C70-85C9-FF3986F3087D.jpeg
Dcurt63

Post by Dcurt63 »

I found a picture that looks to be taken sometime in the 1950’s looking southeast down Main St. in El Monte (aka Valley Mall?). There is a Shopping Bag sign in the background. Could this be the back of the store that was located on East Valley Blvd.? Below is the old photo and a current look from Google Street View looking in the same direction. I believe this is the same vantage point because the Savings Bank building with the cheese grater facade looks to be the current Chase Bank building, and the old JC Penney’s looks like the current El Monte Mall.
Attachments
859CF553-34FD-4014-A5C1-9A065CBFF4FF.jpeg
91BA7015-6E69-4B42-BC40-432FC53B06C1.jpeg
Jeff
Veteran

Post by Jeff »

Dcurt63 wrote: 08 Apr 2020 22:59 I found a picture that looks to be taken sometime in the 1950’s looking southeast down Main St. in El Monte (aka Valley Mall?). There is a Shopping Bag sign in the background. Could this be the back of the store that was located on East Valley Blvd.? Below is the old photo and a current look from Google Street View looking in the same direction. I believe this is the same vantage point because the Savings Bank building with the cheese grater facade looks to be the current Chase Bank building, and the old JC Penney’s looks like the current El Monte Mall.
Looking at the historical aerial, it will be where the current Smart and Final is on Ramona and Valley. The building was remodeled and an autozone added to the south of the old building. It would be unrecognizable today.
klkla
Veteran

Post by klkla »

Jeff wrote: 30 May 2020 00:00 Looking at the historical aerial, it will be where the current Smart and Final is on Ramona and Valley. The building was remodeled and an autozone added to the south of the old building. It would be unrecognizable today.
That makes sense. It matches up with the curve of the street. The original photo was shot with the camera zoomed in which distorts the distance between the buildings.
somuchtoseeanddo
Contributor

Post by somuchtoseeanddo »

pseudo3d wrote: 02 Sep 2017 22:55 That list is definitely out of date; I don't think any Albertsons exist from the Shopping Bag days anymore. The Sierra Madre store closed a few years ago, there's only one picture of the inside from Yelp, and it looks like an ancient store that wasn't touched since before the blue-and-gray era.
Yes, indeed. That store was like walking back into 1974. All the orange and avocado green. Amazing! Should be kept as a movie set. Think it is still empty and boarded-up.
Dcurt63

Post by Dcurt63 »

Andrew T. wrote: 20 Mar 2020 17:49
Dcurt63 wrote: 18 Mar 2020 01:00 Earlier in this topic dennis438 mentioned a Mr. Hayden. That would be Mr. Rube Hayden who, along with Mr. W.D. Rorex, founded Shopping Bag Grocery around 1930. Mr. Hayden was from the small town of Fancy Farm, KY. He provided jobs for young men from his hometown that came west during the Depression. One of those men was my father who worked at Mr. Hayden’s store after he graduated High School in 1934. My father and a few buddies came to L.A. from Fancy Farm as Mr. Hayden had promised them jobs if they could get out there. I was wondering if any old photos of the original store existed that my father worked in.
Backtracking to the post in question...
dennis438 wrote: 18 Mar 2017 12:14 Although another posted here that a Shopping Bag existed in 1930 I never saw it. During WWII there was just one, on Colorado in the Eagle Rock neighborhood. Not long after the war's end another opened about 2 miles east, again on Colorado. A Mr. Hayden, a member of our church, was either the owner or one of the top officials. In 1949 and 1950 Mr Hayden allowed me to use one of his Shopping Bag trucks to take kids in our Boy Scout troop various places on weekends. (Big thrill, driving that truck at only 18!). In 1951 I went into the military - when I returned Shopping Bag had multiplied, Mr. Hayden had moved from the Eagle Rock neighborhood to San Marino, and I lost track of the old neighborhood.
I searched Google for "Eagle Rock historical photos," and as luck would have it the very first thing that came up was this circa-1940s photo taken on Colorado with a Shopping Bag Market sign in the background. Not sure if this was the original store, but it might be.

The Los Angeles Public Library might have some images of the neighbourhood in its history and geneology collection, or other resources such as newspaper microfilms that might help.
A few years ago I was in LA and decided to try and find the Shopping Bag building referenced in the Andrew T. post.
Here is a pic of the building. My father worked there in the 1930’s. He rented a room in the house next door to the store.
Attachments
F7DA6926-EF0E-4C25-BC43-534D27D83D55.jpeg
Mixerguy

Post by Mixerguy »

This might be near the corner of Colorado and Eagle Rock Blvd?
Attachments
IMG_2173.png