NEW: Winchester and Harrisonburg VA

Delaware, Maryland, Pennsylvania, Virginia, and West Virginia.

Moderator: Groceteria

BatteryMill
Contributor

Re: NEW: Winchester and Harrisonburg VA

Post by BatteryMill »

Kroger #341 (opened 1995) and Food Lion #1506 (as of 2008) operated at 2047 S Pleasant Valley Rd in Winchester. Numbers are per the VA ABC license search.

On a side note I remember hearing somewhere about Kroger signing a 20-year clause not to operate stores in a nearby radius (such as in Martinsburg and Hagerstown) prior to said store opening.
Groceteria
Great Pumpkin

Post by Groceteria »

I actually had that address but it kept not resolving with Google Maps before, so I pulled it till I could look further (and then forgot). I'll add it back in. It was only listed as Kroger in 1995. I didn't see a Food Lion listing in any subsequent directories, but they're always less accurate after 2000. There are definitely numerous references online to the Food Lion, but nothing specific on when it opened or closed.
Groceteria
Great Pumpkin

Post by Groceteria »

I would guess the ABC application would mean it opened in 2008. It was vacant by 2011, which is earlier than the other Food Lion closures in the area.
BatteryMill
Contributor

Post by BatteryMill »

Groceteria wrote: 08 Aug 2023 21:32 I would guess the ABC application would mean it opened in 2008. It was vacant by 2011, which is earlier than the other Food Lion closures in the area.
I've sourced the 2008 info per a https://newspaperarchive.com/winchester ... ester Star article. Pharmacy databases list Food Lion as of 2006, but other than that details are murky as to when either opened or closed.
sjankis630

Post by sjankis630 »

Does anyone remember back in the 1984-1985 timeframe regarding A&P supermarket in Harrisonburg Va? I was going to college in Harrisonburg (1984-1988) and I remember walking to the A&P grocery on S Carton St in what is now the Coverleaf Shopping center at what now looks to be a Food Lion.
I lived in the village and would start walking down the train tracks - yeah not too smart - and would get there sometimes if I had no party/happy hr to attend and I would buy their Costcutter beer. lol.
Man I miss those days.
opacity

Post by opacity »

Couple notes from the Harrisonburg paper:

2035 E Market (Skyline Village)--the Martin's opened 9/12/2007, on the former site of a Toys R Us. The old Rack & Sack was at the other end of the center where Kohl's is now located.

1001 S High--The Red Front closed 12/24/1987. According to the notice in the newspaper they closed because High St was being widened and they would lose most of their parking lot. They had been at the site since December 1966 when they bought the former Sam's Supermarket.

Food Lion--the location in Cloverleaf Shopping Center opened 8/31/2005. It was indeed a new build on the former SuperFresh site. The locations at 1671 E Market and 924 W Market closed that same month.