Dominick's ?

Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, North Dakota, Ohio, South Dakota, and Wisconsin.

Moderator: Groceteria

mikeparkridge
Contributor

Dominick's ?

Post by mikeparkridge »

Many locations now or there's at least 2 I know of that have a sign above the checkout area saying something like serving Park Ridge since 1971. Now that was the year Kroger pulled out of the Chicago area and Kroger locations were taken over by Dominick's but there's one in Morton Grove on Dempster & Waukegan wich says Serving Morton Grove since 1965. Having visited the local Historical Society and 1 of the ladies who has lived in the town since 1956 says the shopping center was built not long after she moved there.

My question does anyone know of any other supermarket chain that might of operated in the Chicago area that Dominick's might of taken over in 65? Since Supermarkets and Drug Store are more of an everyday necessity compared to other type of stores I figure it's possible was another food store there.
wayne winterland jr.
Contributor

Post by wayne winterland jr. »

We're there ever Natiional Grocery stores in the Chicago area at any time. I once remember seeing a National Grocery store in Streator, Illinois in the 1950's?
Dave
Veteran

Post by Dave »

wayne winterland jr. wrote:We're there ever Natiional Grocery stores in the Chicago area at any time. I once remember seeing a National Grocery store in Streator, Illinois in the 1950's?
Well, yes. http://www.groceteria.com/stores/national.html
mikeparkridge
Contributor

Post by mikeparkridge »

I ask this once before but have since forgot.

Where was exactly was their 1st Supermarket on North Ave? Like what was the nearest cross street?

Of course Dominick's started as a meast market on W. Ohio St. in 1918 but the North Ave location was I believe there first supermarket.
LadyNoir
Contributor

Post by LadyNoir »

According to a 1965 Chicago Tribune article Dominick's did buy seven Eagle supermarket locations from Consolidated Foods in Skokie, Des Plaines, Elmhurst, Forest park, Rolling Meadows, Glenview and at 6009 N Broadway, Chicago.

The aricle also mentioned that it bought three Korvette foods stores earlier the same year although it doesn't give any locations. However, another article mentions that the locations were 87th and Cicero, 211th street and Crawford Ave and Dempster and Waukeegan Rd.
mikeparkridge
Contributor

Post by mikeparkridge »

Thanks for the reply.

I didn't know Korvette's owned any supermarkets.
LadyNoir
Contributor

Post by LadyNoir »

mikeparkridge wrote:Thanks for the reply.

Neither did I. Gotta look into that!
mikeparkridge
Contributor

Re: Dominick's ?

Post by mikeparkridge »

Just thought of another question.

I remember most of the stores had orange flags above each letter that spelled Dominick's.

This was when they had the old orange cursive logo?

What was the purpose of that?
pseudo3d
Veteran

Re:

Post by pseudo3d »

LadyNoir wrote:
mikeparkridge wrote:Thanks for the reply.

Neither did I. Gotta look into that!
They purchased a smaller grocery chain called Hill's (not to be confused with Hills Department Stores), and if I recall correctly (I read a book, I wasn't actually alive when it happened) they pulled the plug on the grocery stores in the early 1970s. They were not connected to the main store, they were always in an adjacent building.
Steve Landry
Veteran

Re: Dominick's ?

Post by Steve Landry »

Many were purchased by Food Fair/Pantry Pride stores.
The Food Fair Empire