Savannah Highway, Charleston SC

Alabama, Arkansas, Florida, Georgia, Louisiana, Mississippi, North Carolina, South Carolina, and Tennessee.

Moderator: Groceteria

Dave
Veteran

Post by Dave »

All I found out really is that the property belongs to Rodenberg Properties and that it is an irregular parcel - looks like it has a "tail" for access to the side street. Since Rodenberg isn't a common name, I searched on that and found some other commercial properites, mainly gas stations (one's on Piggly Wiggly Drive!). I was hoping to find other supermarkets but dodn't (sometimes real estate investors like to "specialize" with particular chains).

One thing I noticed is that for some properties, you can tell what they were even if the parcel is vacant today by looking at the tax record, as the billing address may be to the tenant (current or former) instead of the owner. Of course, this only works if the property is still subject to a lease.
Swifty
Contributor

Post by Swifty »

Rodenberg's is correct! It was Rodenberg's Supermarket. (Not Roth-. I had a brain fart. The sign under the mat is Rodenberg's).

The store was built in the 1940s and served as the first "supermarket" west of the Ashley River.

The store lasted until sometime in the '60s, and, obviously, was pretty much driven out by the larger grocery chains moving into the area.

I'm also told that there was a location downtown and in Mt. Pleasant. Not sure where either of them were, though.

I'll try to do some more amateur sleuthing.

-----

ETA: The downtown location was on Spring Street and is now home to a parking garage for MUSC.

Now if I can just get in touch with the Rodenbergs for a few pictures...
turbocsx
Contributor

Post by turbocsx »

was Finast ever located in that area of the country? because that wall on the roof looks just like a Finast that used to be around me.
Edric Floyd
Veteran

Post by Edric Floyd »

turbocsx wrote:was Finast ever located in that area of the country? because that wall on the roof looks just like a Finast that used to be around me.
Finast was never that far south.