Kenny Rogers Roasters

Moderator: Groceteria

Jeff
Veteran

Kenny Rogers Roasters

Post by Jeff »

What happened to them? There is literally only one location left in the US here in California.
TheQuestioner
Contributor

Kenny Rogers Roasters

Post by TheQuestioner »

I am not sure why this chain vanished so abruptly. The last location I was aware of was one on US Route 1 in Laurel Md. I believe it closed about ayear ago. The last time I checked the KRR website that location appared to be the only one listed. This list no location info currently on their website.

From what I read they once had over 300 locations, and now are down to the Ontario Mall store and some overseas stores in Asia. Funny how "dead" US chains can have a new live overseas, especially in asia. Mister Donut (long ago bought out by Dunkin Donuts) lives on in Asia.

Getting back to the topic at hand, does anyone know why KRR disappeared completely without much notice?
Daniel
Veteran

Post by Daniel »

I remember the Fresno location closed abruptly in the middle of the week in 1997 or 1998... The employees didn't even know the place was closing, they just showed up to a chained up door the next day. The building sat vacant for a few years, with Christmas decorations painted on the windows for months.

The space ended up becoming a Burger King, which was interesting because they demolished a 1970's era BK to build KRR!
tesg
Veteran

Post by tesg »

I have a Roasters page on my site.

http://www.99w.com/evilsam/ff/roasters.htm

The brand failed due to a number of reasons (least of which was the food, which was awesome.) I think a lot of it was inexperienced operators who bought into the franchises. Part of it was the segment didn't work. Boston Market may still be alive, but it isn't exactly a success story.

The chain entered bankruptcy. Nathan's Famous bought the brand and multibrands it with Nathan's outlets along with some other brands they own (Arthur Treacher's and Miami Subs). I've been to the one at Mall of America, which is a Nathan's/Roasters/Arthur Treacher's. They had NONE of the items from the original Roasters menu. Not even the wood-roasted chicken. Not one single item.

Sad, because I REALLY liked Roasters' chicken and ribs. Their mac and cheese was really good too.
Super S
Veteran

Post by Super S »

There was one of these open in Vancouver, Washington for a short time in a former Pietro's Pizza. Not only was the chicken fantastic, but they also had turkey on the menu that was quite good, and I liked the corn muffins they had. If only they marketed it better or had a different name they might still be around.
jamcool
Veteran

Post by jamcool »

Sad, because I REALLY liked Roasters' chicken

So did Kramer in a Seinfeld episode..."Kennyyy!"
Jeff
Veteran

Post by Jeff »

nice site sam!

yes, I wonder how the one and only left in Ontario tastes.
It still does business, as it is the food court of the Mills.
Dean
Veteran

Post by Dean »

Check WIKIPEDIA...did so recently...after seeing the SEINFELD episode.
krogerclerk
Veteran

Post by krogerclerk »

Kenny Rogers ex-brother-in-law operated the locat Kenny Rogers Roasters in the Dalton outlet center, a Tanger at the time. All other Roasters locations that I was familiar with were freestanding. KRR, Boston Market(then Boston Rotisserie Chicken), and Tanner's seemed to have gotten into an expansion war for the rottisserie take-out market in the Atlanta area. KFC brought out Colonel's Rotisserie Gold and most supermarket delis added rotisseries and the market bottomed out.
javelin
Veteran

Post by javelin »

I always forget to try the KRR in the Ontario Mills, it's not far from me at all. One reason for the brand's failure is that Kenny Rogers had a falling out with the company for some reason and pulled his endorsement, leaving only his name for their use from the long term contract.

Despite that, he's actually a funny guy if you've ever seen him in concert.
storeliker
Contributor

Kenny Rogers Roasters

Post by storeliker »

I'm sure there great over here in the USA but I ate at one in a mall outside of Kula Lumpur in Maylasia located in a food court about two months ago. I think he needs to know when to fold them cause chicken was a little rubbery and a little over marinated. Ive only seen them in Asia and sure they are better here. Besides Kenny is a great guy. He met my blind cousin and sang for her when Islands In the Stream was a big hit.
me
Buckethead
Contributor

Post by Buckethead »

I always wanted to eat there, but didn't get the chance. I lived in Modesto in 1995, and days before I moved to Missouri, they had a grand opening. Each time I drove by there, there was a line out the door. I decided against going, and figured I would eat there the next time I came back. Moved back to cali in 1997, and it was already out of business.