Zody's

Moderator: Groceteria

Dean
Veteran

Re: Albertsons-Lucky Montebello

Post by Dean »

Jeff wrote:
J-Man wrote:
Max Foods, apparently, cannot become a Lucky store until they agree to close the Albertsons across the street. Why would they have to wait until Albertsons closes? They're both owned by SuperValu -- what would be the problem with continuing that situation, but with a different name for Max Foods?
Apparently a monopoly thing. Its really retarded. Supposedly the Albertsons (former Lucky) was to close months ago.....but never did.
This seems odd...as isn't there a VONS & PAVILLIONS in Pasadena (or South Pas) that are essentially divided by a small street/alley?! Aren't they running essentially side-by-side?! Was the PAVILLIONS a SAFEWAY before?

<<<Edited by moderator to properly frame quoted material. Please read this post for info on how to quote messages.>>>
greebs
Contributor

Post by greebs »

Yes, the Pavilions was a Safeway which opened up in 1979. The Vons was already there when it opened. Both are on Fair Oaks Ave in South Pasadena divided by Monterey Road. Also as a side note, the movie Halloween was filmed on the surrounding neighborhoods.
Dean
Veteran

Post by Dean »

Jeff wrote:I live near the Montebello store.

It was subdivided in 1987 when Circuit City opened on the north end, and Max Foods the other 2/3rds of the store.

Circuit City closed in the mid-late 90's when they moved to a bigger store next door in the former Builders Emporium.

The old Circuit City was empty for years (minus the tower they tore down) and became a 99 cent only store.

Max Foods, apparently, cannot become a Lucky store until they agree to close the Albertsons across the street. With both markets being busy, i dont think they are willing to do this. I would love to see a Stater Brothers in th eformer Lucky store.
Found the following on the Circuit City website:
In 1969:Begins operating licensed departments in Zodys Department Stores in Los Angeles.

I remember now speaking to a lady @ Circuit City...that had been with them for years. She stated how she had started in one such licensed departments. Once these ended...she was moved to a "real" store.

The Montebello center is odd...how it had so many large stores side-by-side, and not many smaller shops scattered about. To the extreme left was Jack Lalannes (sp!) European Health Spa (now a church I believe). Then Zodys (now divided up as mentioned above). Albertsons is now Office Depot, and Sav-On is on the end, correct? Assume now CVS. The Bank of America was a Gibraltor Bank. Became Security Pacific and then B of A. There is a medical office that is next to Del Taco. That had been another bank.

Across the street in the Albertsons (former LUCKY center)...B of A used to be there, before it moved into the site mentioned above. I'd have to look at the center (has been some time)...but B of A was where Home Town Buffet is now, or was to the left where this restaurant is.
Jeff
Veteran

Post by Jeff »

The Center was

Cattleman's (now a chinese buffet)

Jack La Lane (then a church, now a laundromat coming soon)

Builders Emporium (now Circuit City)

Zody's (Old Circuit City / 99 Cent Only Store, and Max Foods)

Albertsons (then Workplace, then Office Depot)

Sav-on Drugs (then Osco, then Sav-on now CVS)

random shops. at the end was a Pioneer Chicken (now a taqueria)

The Carrows was a Bob's Big Boy

The Valero was a USA Gas, then Chevron. Chevron closed it when they opened two new stations, one on Portero Grande, one on Garfield (both former Shells)

The Health Services place was a Crocker Bank, then Wells Fargo.
The other Healths Services place was Perry Boys Smorgy, a nail place and optometrist (the one from Zodys moved here when Zodys closed)

Subway was Swensens.

The Straw Hat Pizza became a Radio Shack and Japanese Restaurant.
Dean
Veteran

Post by Dean »

Jeff wrote:The Center was

Cattleman's (now a chinese buffet)

Jack La Lane (then a church, now a laundromat coming soon)

Builders Emporium (now Circuit City)

Zody's (Old Circuit City / 99 Cent Only Store, and Max Foods)

Albertsons (then Workplace, then Office Depot)

Sav-on Drugs (then Osco, then Sav-on now CVS)

random shops. at the end was a Pioneer Chicken (now a taqueria)

The Carrows was a Bob's Big Boy

The Valero was a USA Gas, then Chevron. Chevron closed it when they opened two new stations, one on Portero Grande, one on Garfield (both former Shells)

The Health Services place was a Crocker Bank, then Wells Fargo.
The other Healths Services place was Perry Boys Smorgy, a nail place and optometrist (the one from Zodys moved here when Zodys closed)

Subway was Swensens.

thanks Jeff! Wow! You remember it all!

I remember that the restaurant was a western-type place...couldn't remember name.

Not sure I remembered BUILDERS being there!

Ha! Perry Boys Smorgy! Never ate there...but definitely remember the name!
TheQuestioner
Contributor

Post by TheQuestioner »

Jeff wrote:The Center was

Cattleman's (now a chinese buffet)...

...The Carrows was a Bob's Big Boy...

...Subway was Swensens.

Interesting to hear that Cattlemen's was once in SoCal. Currently, they are concentrated in Northern CA, with branches as far north as Redding and one south of Fresno. Their website says they began in Redondo Beach, so I guess the market for an old-west steakhouse lost momentum in the south more than the north.

I wouldn't be surprised to see the Carrow's become Bob's again, they seem to be flipping back several Coco's and Carrows locations in SoCal. They seem to be going for geographic coverage, filling in holes between existing locations, so Montebello might be a good candidate with no Big Boy's nearby.

Sad to hear that Swensen's was replaced with a "healthy" sandwich shop. What happened to Swensen's? I have read detailed explanations for the rise and fall of Farrell's, a similar chain, but I have no idea why Swensen's seems to have faded away. The original shop is still there in San Francisco, but they are just ice cream, not a restaurant.
TheStranger
Veteran

Post by TheStranger »

TheQuestioner wrote: I have read detailed explanations for the rise and fall of Farrell's, a similar chain
The Daly City Farrell's location (at the Serramonte Mall outlot near I-280) is now a Toons ice cream parlor.

The Sacramento location (in a shopping center now converted to mostly police offices) on Freeport Boulevard somewhere around Land Park neighborhood was pretty much destroyed in the 1970s after a plane trying to land during an airshow at Executive Airport (across the street) crashed into it.
Chris Sampang
Jeff
Veteran

Post by Jeff »

Cattleman's had a large ocean-front restaurant in Redondo Beach on the pier. It was closed when there was pier damage in the 80's and then torn down when the pier had a fire in the 90's.
TenPoundHammer
Veteran

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Michigan also had Zody's for the blink of an eye, they were all former "Yankee" locations. Yankee was a regional discount department store that had locations in Flint, Detroit, Port Huron, Bay City, Midland, Saginaw, Lansing, and Grand Rapids. I know that the Flint, Saginaw, and Port Huron ones became Zody's, not sure about the rest.

Anyone know anything more about Zody's or Yankee in Michigan?

Some of the Zody's later operated as 3-D, Tradeway, or Hills. The one in Saginaw, if I'm not mistaken, went Yankee->Zody's->3-D->Tradeway->empty->Hills->empty for a long time->Kmart (still is a Kmart to this day).
Jeff
Veteran

Post by Jeff »

I was at the Staples today that is 1/3 of the Zody's in Alhambra.

If you look closely, you can still see the labelscar on the building...at least the " Y S " that is next to the Staples sign....the rest is covered by the staples sign. Also I remember seeing a little bit a long time ago on the rear of the store where there was a sign as well.
Daniel
Veteran

Post by Daniel »

Hey... here's a Zody's TV commercial.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hq0C3OUaTow
TheQuestioner
Contributor

Post by TheQuestioner »

TheStranger wrote:
TheQuestioner wrote: I have read detailed explanations for the rise and fall of Farrell's, a similar chain
The Daly City Farrell's location (at the Serramonte Mall outlot near I-280) is now a Toons ice cream parlor.

The Sacramento location (in a shopping center now converted to mostly police offices) on Freeport Boulevard somewhere around Land Park neighborhood was pretty much destroyed in the 1970s after a plane trying to land during an airshow at Executive Airport (across the street) crashed into it.
I believe that the Toons restaurant in Daly City is closed, and the building possibly demolished. I remember visiting that place around 2000-2001. It had a very creepy, run-down vibe. It was an odd combination, having bright lights and colorful cartoony elements with such a tired atmosphere and mediocre food. There were almost no customers. I think Toons was once a chain, I don't know if they made it a habit to take over disused Farrell's locations. I know sometimes a chain will spread via that kind of "vulture" method.

Farrell's was a great place, I hope whoever owns the concept is able to spread it again. I read they have been trying but that there's a lot of legal issues between them and someone else claiming ownership of the brand.
dth1971
Contributor

Zody's

Post by dth1971 »

Vicki Carr used to do Zody's TV commercials, she used to sing the "Take a look at Zody's now" jingle.
Buckethead
Contributor

Post by Buckethead »

There was a Zody's in Ceres back in the early-mid 80's. It was a HUGE store. My family shopped there quite often. When it went out of business, the building sat empty for almost 20 years. Insane. I always wondered why they didn't make it into a theater or something. Almost two years ago, it became a dollar store, and a few other stores as well.
greebs
Contributor

Post by greebs »

The Zody's in Bakersfield seems to have that problem as well. It's been vacant for some time now, just cant find a permanent tenant. The building is probably the only Zodys that looks the way it did when it opened.