7-11

This is the place for general and miscellaneous posts on topics which might extend past the boundaries of any specific region.

Moderator: Groceteria

rich
Veteran

Post by rich »

There's some variation by country. I never cared for the US slurpee, but became addicted to them living in Bangkok Thailand, where they are made from Coca Cola products (including Minute Maid & Fanta). The recipe there is probably like the one in Canada, with differences resulting from the local Coke formulation--not as fizzy or sweet as the US version.
StoreLiker2005

Post by StoreLiker2005 »

Does anyone know how old the current 7-11 logo is? It looks very dated now.

Ben (StoreLiker2005)
Groceteria
Great Pumpkin

Post by Groceteria »

StoreLiker2005 wrote:Does anyone know how old the current 7-11 logo is? It looks very dated now.
As I remember, it dates from the mid 1970s. The stores in my hometown haad time to adopt the new logo before being sold, which happened in the late 1970s.
RandallFlagg
Contributor

Post by RandallFlagg »

I remember the milk sold at my local 7-11 as Adohr farms. We had a 7-11 in Cucamonga on Baseline back in the early 70's. It was one of the chain stores we had built in town. On the south side we had a new Mayfair, but that was too far to go for a young kid. I could however walk up the street [layton] and cross baseline. At the time baseline was barely a 2 lane road and you might see a car every half hour. Now the road is 4 lanes wide with center lanes and a traffic nightmare. Oh and yes, back then the store opened at 7 and closed at 11. They didn't go 24 hrs till the area grew up enough to support it.
Buckethead
Contributor

Post by Buckethead »

The old 7-11's here in central cali are still in business. Big difference from the past is that they no longer have gas stations and they also no longer have the infamous nachos/chili cheese dogs. When they discontinued the nachos/chili dogs is when I stopped going there. memories of eating there go all the way back to early childhood. I remember walking there late at night to get me snacks for watching movies, and I always got nachos, chili dogs, a big gulp, and one of those 3 foot long beef jerky sticks they used to sell.

Anyone else remember when in the late 80's, you could rent movies and buy cassettes there? The selections were small though. The movies were on the first aisle when you walked into the store.
lvkewlkid
Veteran

Post by lvkewlkid »

I've seen 7-11s here in Vegas that sell movies and CDs, they are mostly in Spanish though. We still have nachos, chili dogs, and gas at our 7-11s.
NewsLynne
Contributor

Post by NewsLynne »

I saw an old ad once...wish I still had it. It protrayed 7-11 as a wholesome place where Mommy could send little Mary with the money in the envelope to pick up some bread, milk and candy. then the nice clerk would put the change in the envelope, pat Mary on the head and send her out in the big scary world.

Come to think of it, that was hilarious.
TheStranger
Veteran

Post by TheStranger »

Anyone know when the current 7-11 logo came into use? The Davis, CA location still has the early-70s logo on it:

http://dtcwrt.earlracing.com/stores/davis.htm

(photo taken by Charles Hathaway)

I want to say the cutoff was some time in the early 80s (by 1983-84, the 7-11 race car teams in IMSA and at the Indy 500 had the current logo).
Chris Sampang
Groceteria
Great Pumpkin

Post by Groceteria »

TheStranger wrote:Anyone know when the current 7-11 logo came into use?
As I mention several posts up, it was definitely no later than the mid-to-late 1970s.
storeliker
Contributor

7-11 logo

Post by storeliker »

ThebookI have I found on ebay one time that gives the history of 7-11 seems to allude that the streamlined logo was introduced in 76 or 77 I believe, but you might have to email 7-11 and see. The logo in the Davis picture looks like the original one that was used after it aquired the Spee Dee chain so I'm certain that sign would be pretty old.
I'm not sure where there are original Spee Dees that are still 7-11's in California besides the one in Oak Manor at the edge of Fairfax. If anyone knows please post.
Also I have the ad of the the kid with the little envelope that 7-11 used to give out (I believe it was green) It is in an old Look Magazine somewhere. It might take me ages to come across it but when I do Ill scan.
TheStranger
Veteran

Post by TheStranger »

Looking at these two 7-11 ads, it seems like the current logo may actually have come even earlier in the 70s, though I'm not certain how old they are:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QviQxQHAB-M
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_q4EkWaC0Y
Chris Sampang
tkaye
Veteran

Post by tkaye »

Here's a photograph of a 7-Eleven in Tacoma, Wash. dating back to 1969 with what looks to be the current logo: http://search.tpl.lib.wa.us/buildings/b ... hash=P&i=1. This building now houses a Montessori school!

I'd never seen that old logo like the one in Davis before... I've got to say I find it a bit creepy for some reason. It's of the same ilk as the Viacom "V of Doom" logo to me.
TheStranger
Veteran

Post by TheStranger »

I've actually seen a photo on the web somewhere of the older logo being used at a Palo Alto 7-11 in the early 1970s. It could just be a case of newer units using the newer logo and older ones waiting for upgraded signs (think the transitions in the Safeway logo design, where during the period of the square S, a few stores still used the circle S logo - some now even after Lifestyle remodeling, as is the case for the Mission Street marina).

Davis is the only example I have seen out in the field though. Charles Hathaway was with me when we photographed it, and he said something about a pre-existing unrelated 7-11 chain which Southland purchased in the 1960s to gain a Northern California foothold; I don't have any more data on that though. He did say that the older logo was first used right after that merger. (Unless he was referring to the Spee Dee chain storeliker talks about in this thread.)
Chris Sampang
Dave
Veteran

Post by Dave »

Dave wrote:I had the opportunity the other day to drive by two of what are original 7-Eleven stores here in Richmond, and noticed that both of these stores still had the double entrance doors, and are still open as 7-Elevens. That seems to be pretty unusual these days, as the newer stores only have one entrance and the older ones were remodeled to a single set of doors some time ago. You usually see the double door sets on older stores that are no longer 7-Elevens, but are something else (church, daycare, antique shops, etc., etc.).

Is my observation regarding the doors valid everywhere? All of these are corporate locations (former Southland) and not franchises.
No one bit on this observation when I originally made it, but I wanted to add that one of the remaining double-door stores is in a two-unit strip with the local 7-Eleven district office as the other unit.

My new observation is that almost none of the older 7-Elevens around here are on corner lots. Sometimes they are one lot off of a corner, but mostly they are pretty well-removed from intersections. Quite a few are now pretty hard to access due to road widening and traffic pattern changes. Does anyone know if there was a particular reason for this? Lower real estate expense comes to mind. Is this common, or an anomaly?

The newer units with fueling stations and canopies are almost all on corners.
Dean
Veteran

Re: 7-11

Post by Dean »

Noticed an ad @ the pump...SLURPEE...The Original.

Technically, ICEE was first, correct? Then SLURPEE for 7-11 ?!?