Extinct Supermarket Merchandise

This is the place for general and miscellaneous posts on topics which might extend past the boundaries of any specific region.

Moderator: Groceteria

TenPoundHammer
Veteran

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Here's another extinct store brand - President's Choice. Glen's and other Spartan Foods brands (Prevo's, Ashcraft's,* Family Fare, Oleson's, Tom's, etc.) carried them. I remember that President's Choice made a very interesting (and tasty) flavor of potato chips - they were barbeque, sour cream & onion, salt & vinegar, sour cream & cheddar - ALL ON THE SAME CHIP.

Now, Spartan Foods stores just use the "Spartan" label on their house brands, as well as Valu Time products (the latter are available at other stores). Spartan-brand grocery stores aren't discount grocers, however.

(*Prevo's and Ashcraft's have been swallowed by Glen's.)
Dean
Veteran

Post by Dean »

TenPoundHammer wrote:Here's another extinct store brand - President's Choice. Glen's and other Spartan Foods brands (Prevo's, Ashcraft's,* Family Fare, Oleson's, Tom's, etc.) carried them.
I remember LUCKY carrying this line. The line was, "President's Choice. Only at LUCKY."

Comically, I was in the east, and shopped @ ACME. Same line, "President's Choice. Only at ACME."

I believe a number of the products stated PRODUCT OF CANADA.
Dean
Veteran

Post by Dean »

Before the demise of Alpha Beta...the chain carried SUNNY SELECT items.
Groceteria
Great Pumpkin

Post by Groceteria »

Sunny Select and Presidents Choice are not extinct. PC still exists in Canada (it's owned by Loblaw), and I'm betting it's still sold in certain parts of the US as well.

Sunny Select is a trademark owned, I believe, buy a joint distribution venture of Save-Mart and Raley's, who still carry these products as their house brand. Yucaipa used Sunny Select as a house brand for a time as well, which is probably why you saw it in Alpha Beta.
rich
Veteran

Post by rich »

President's Choice is used by quite a few regional chains. Harris-Teeter used it when they were in Atlanta. Loblaw is part of the George Weston Foods empire (a large multi-national food processor based in Canada) which makes a lot of this stuff. Weston had made products for National Tea when they owned them, and got into the bigger world of US house brand products through generics (which they "invented") and bulk foods (which they also pioneered).
Daniel
Veteran

Post by Daniel »

True, Sunny Select was originally a joint effort between Save Mart and Raley's. However, when I was in a Raley's two weeks ago, I noticed Sunny Select had been phased out in favor of the "Raley's/Bel-Air Fine Foods" label. Whether or not these products are made in the same facilities as Sunny Select products I couldn't tell you.
TheStranger
Veteran

Post by TheStranger »

Groceteria wrote:Yucaipa used Sunny Select as a house brand for a time as well, which is probably why you saw it in Alpha Beta.
In the early 90s, my family bought Sunny Select milk from the local QFI (Yucaipa-owned at the time) supermarket, and I'm pretty sure Cala had it as well then.
Chris Sampang
Super S
Veteran

Post by Super S »

Fred Meyer carried President's Choice starting in the mid-90s. The brand was eventually scaled back, then I believe it disappeared entirely at Fred Meyer under Kroger ownership.
Dean
Veteran

Post by Dean »

Mr. Host~

The SCOTCH BUY posting has made me question:

Did SAFEWAY carry this line IN ADDITION to their other store brands? For example, it seems like CRAGMONT soft drinks were around forever.

Do you recall if BOTH lines were carried for certain product lines simultaneously?

Much thanks!
Groceteria
Great Pumpkin

Post by Groceteria »

Dean wrote:Do you recall if BOTH lines were carried for certain product lines simultaneously?
I can't say for sure, but I think I've seen Safeway-branded products from the same era. I think Kroger and A&P maintained their own store brands while adding their respective "generic" lines, so it wouldn't surprise me if Safeway did the same.
rich
Veteran

Post by rich »

Yes--all the generics worked this way. "Scotch Buy" was around (on a small number of items" into the 90s, along side all the usual safeway brands. They seemed to phase it out around the time they brought in "Safeway Select". The generics were okay for canned goods and other stuff that was unlikely to be th focal point of a meal. The paper goods were basically useless.
Jason B.
Veteran

Re: Extinct Supermarket Merchandise

Post by Jason B. »

Oscar Mayer seems to be reducing the variety of luncheon meats in its product line. "New England Brand Sausage" was commonly found on supermarket shelves in the 1980s; now it appears to be gone.

I'm sure the Campbell's soup line, for example, has also changed its varieties over the years.
maynesG
Veteran

Re: Extinct Supermarket Merchandise

Post by maynesG »

Did somebody mention Monk Fish? MonkFish is known as poor mans lobster and now sells for 9.99 lb and is now considered a week end only item in Acmes Butcher Block. i think you could be confused with pollock a cheap whitefish that is used for in Sea Food Chunks, lobster cunks and Sea Food Salads. Does any one remember Quake Cereal. Quaker made Quisp and Quake
They were the same cereal back in the late 70!s The Oats Company had an election so the public could vote wich one to keep.
drpep
Contributor

Re:

Post by drpep »

TheStranger wrote: Maybe they should rename M&M's to "Skittles Chocolate".
There are now chocolate Skittles.
jamcool
Veteran

Re:

Post by jamcool »

rich wrote:Yes--all the generics worked this way. "Scotch Buy" was around (on a small number of items" into the 90s, along side all the usual safeway brands. They seemed to phase it out around the time they brought in "Safeway Select". The generics were okay for canned goods and other stuff that was unlikely to be th focal point of a meal. The paper goods were basically useless.

Safeway has brought back the "Scotch Buy" concept with its new "Basic RED" brand.