Savannah Highway, Charleston SC

Alabama, Arkansas, Florida, Georgia, Louisiana, Mississippi, North Carolina, South Carolina, and Tennessee.

Moderator: Groceteria

Groceteria
Great Pumpkin

Savannah Highway, Charleston SC

Post by Groceteria »

Any ideas? I haven't a clue on this one; the prototype doesn't even look vaguely familiar to me. Mayble it's a local chain or an independent?
Steve Landry
Veteran

Post by Steve Landry »

Hmmmm, that tower is very tall.

I wonder if it is in its original shape?
The Food Fair Empire
Groceteria
Great Pumpkin

Post by Groceteria »

Yup, it's an odd one. I'd almost guess that it had maybe been a car dealership rather than a supremarket, but there's no evidence of service bays and it's not surrounded by much of a parking lot...

I was hoping you'd tell me it was a Food Fair :) I know there was at least a JM Fields in Charleston, albeit much later than this store was built...
danielh_512
Veteran

Post by danielh_512 »

Let's think of all the chains that operated in Charleston....

Kroger, A&P, Winn-Dixie we can instantly eliminate. They never built stores that looked like that.

If it were up here in the Mid-Atlantic, I'd speculate Acme potentially (some stores are similar to that left around here), but Acme never got south of Northern Virginia, to my knowledge.

My best guess is Food Fair, or an independent.
Dave
Veteran

Post by Dave »

Groceteria wrote:... I'd almost guess that it had maybe been a car dealership rather than a supremarket, but there's no evidence of service bays ...
It really looks like an auto dealership to me. The service areas in a lot of old dealerships are in separate buildings, and the lack of parking doesn't necessarily rule out a car dealership. They've changed as much as grocery stores over the years!
Steve Landry
Veteran

Post by Steve Landry »

LOL, David...........you know me so well :)

That's what I was thinking (given the Field's presence, even though it was much later).

What throws me off is the high part of the building in the back (an add on?).

The parking situation would be relative to the time period it was built, no?

Anyway............impressive tower for sure :)
The Food Fair Empire
Dave
Veteran

Post by Dave »

One could speculate forever on the "penthouse" towards the rear of the building and the parking. I am aware of a dealership building here in Richmond of the same era that had parking on the roof - and it isn't much bigger than this buidling and it wasn't located in an area that had a lot of limited space available for parking.

You'd almost have to do a title search and look at Sanborn maps to figure out everything that may have gone on with the property.

Or, maybe it's just a grocery store. :)
Groceteria
Great Pumpkin

Post by Groceteria »

Dave wrote:It really looks like an auto dealership to me. The service areas in a lot of old dealerships are in separate buildings, and the lack of parking doesn't necessarily rule out a car dealership. They've changed as much as grocery stores over the years!
I agree, but this one literally barely had enough space for customer parking, much less for any cars that might have been for sale. I could see it if maybe they had a separate lot across the street or something, but it was pretty well hemmed-in on all sides by older buidlings, as I rememeber...
rich
Veteran

Name that store...

Post by rich »

The high pylon and no parking in front would have dated back to the early 50s and might be a long ago chain--a predecessor of W-D, Kroger, etc.?. It looks Safeway-ish, but they were never that far south. The front of the pylon has what look like spots for 6 or 7 letters. Does that provide more clues?
Dave
Veteran

Re: Name that store...

Post by Dave »

rich wrote: The front of the pylon has what look like spots for 6 or 7 letters. Does that provide more clues?
I thought about the six spots on the pylon would fit "K-R-O-G-E-R" nicely, but then there's the seventh spot just above the canopy and the two spots under the canopy, so I didn't want to say anything at first.
bring-back-pylons
Contributor

Post by bring-back-pylons »

I's guessing Food Fair on this one, that was my initial thought as soon as I saw the photo. Did Food Fair ever occupy Charleston? Looks alot like the defunct ones here in NJ (think Phillipsburg, and Newark). If not it would then be an independent. The raised area in the rear was almost certain the machine room mezzanine and the rest rooms and perhaps upstairs storage. A rear photo shot might help out also. Great photo of an impressive old building.
Swifty
Contributor

Post by Swifty »

I actually work right next door to this building. (And, FWIW, park behind it, too. No service bays that I can tell). Anyway, under the floormat in the front, I can make out "ROTH-." The rest is covered up. I plan to slip over there sometime tomorrow and actually lift up the mat to see what exactly the name of the store was...all while attempting to be inconspicuous.
parkave231

Post by parkave231 »

Oooh, this is exciting! I'm very curious to hear the answer! Good luck!

(And if you get in trouble for snooping around, I'll post your bail!)

Matt
Dave
Veteran

Post by Dave »

I don't know if anyone else did, but I visited the Charleston County website to do some noodling around regarding this property (tax card, plat, etc.). They have a lot of information on line (and free for a change).
parkave231

Post by parkave231 »

Dave wrote:I don't know if anyone else did, but I visited the Charleston County website to do some noodling around regarding this property (tax card, plat, etc.). They have a lot of information on line (and free for a change).
Actually, I tried, but I couldn't find the exact spot, and much of anything useful in general. (I know of some places that put photos along with the property info.) Did you find anything???

Matt