Photos from 2006 roadtrip

Alabama, Arkansas, Florida, Georgia, Louisiana, Mississippi, North Carolina, South Carolina, and Tennessee.

Moderator: Groceteria

drpep
Contributor

Photos from 2006 roadtrip

Post by drpep »

These are 4 pictures from my 2006 roadtrip. There are stores from Sanford, NC; Jessup, GA and near Hinesville, GA. The Piggly Wiggly in Sanford has made an appearence on the groceteria homepage (someone elses photo not the one I took). Some of you may have already seen these if you followed my earlier posting of Wegmans and Corning, NY area stores I linked to on flickr and looked around my page at the other photos.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/drpep1024/tags/fm08/
krogerclerk
Veteran

Post by krogerclerk »

Great pictures of some obscure small town stores. The Harvey's in Jesup was originally a Food Lion, the Winn-Dixie was near as was a now vacant Kroger in a former M&M Supermarket(a Savannah regional acquired by Kroger). Carl's Supermarkets in South Carolina are Food Lion by another name, mostly older smaller Food Lions rebannered.

The BiLo in Statesboro Mall was a former M&M/Kroger and possibly originally a Big Star. Waycross had an M&M/Kroger that was leveled and rebuilt in the late 90's into a typical Kroger of the time.

The IGA's in South Georgia and the Carolinas are supplied by wholesaler MDI out of North Carolina, part of the Alex Lee company, as is Lowe's Food Stores. The Galaxy stores are also MDI supplied, and the pictured Galaxy in Georgia looks like a late 70 or early 80's Winn-Dixie.

The South Carolina Piggly Wiggly's and the Screven, GA PW, as well as the Savannah area PW's are part of Charleston, SC based Piggly Wiggly Carolina, the largest Piggly Wiggly operator. The North Carolina and Virginia Piggly Wiggly's are likely independently owned while the remainder of locations in South Georgia are operated by Southern Family Markets, a C&S Wholesale subsidiary. They are mostly former Bruno's/FoodMax store and a few ex-Winn-Dixie's. Most of the Bruno's/FoodMax originated as Piggly Wiggly Southern of Vidalia, GA, until it was acquired by Bruno's in the late 80's.

The 7-11's in Florida represent the only 7-11's south of the Richmond-Petersburg, VA area. 7-11 was once a big presence in the Southeast and many convenience stores in the region are in former 7-11's-Kangaroo and Circle K have many ex-7-11 stores. I had forgotten Lil' Champ which seems to be limited to small South Georgia towns, having last been in the area several years back.
drpep
Contributor

Post by drpep »

krogerclerk wrote:regional acquired by Kroger). Carl's Supermarkets in South Carolina are Food Lion by another name, mostly older smaller Food Lions rebannered.
Glad you enjoyed the photos. I have more from a 2005 trip but they are prints and I don't think I'll ever get around to scanning them.
The Carls I visted was carrying Food Club as their private label and seemed to be an independent.
The North Carolina and Virgina PWs are supplied by Nash Finch.
Dave
Veteran

Post by Dave »

krogerclerk wrote:...The 7-11's in Florida represent the only 7-11's south of the Richmond-Petersburg, VA area...
There are 7-Elevens on the Outer Banks of North Carolina as far south as Whalebone Junction and some more in eastern NC in places like Manteo, Grandy, Elizabeth City and Coinjock.

They're probably an outgrowth of the 7-Elevens in Hampton Roads. In any case, they're all south of Petersburg, and I don't think that part of NC can be considered part of the Richmond-Petersburg area.
Groceteria
Great Pumpkin

Post by Groceteria »

My gut instinct is that the older Piggly Wiggly in Sanford was originally a Big Star. It definitely looks like one, and most of the small town Piggly Wiggly stores in eastern and central North Carolina were originally Big Star/Colonial stores. They were sold off when Harris Teeter purchased Big Star's North Carolina operations in 1988.
Groceteria
Great Pumpkin

Post by Groceteria »

I'm told the old Sanford Piggly Wiggly was actually a Centennial A&P originally, and now that I look at the attached stores next door, I can see that too.
krogerclerk
Veteran

Post by krogerclerk »

Dave wrote:
krogerclerk wrote:...The 7-11's in Florida represent the only 7-11's south of the Richmond-Petersburg, VA area...
There are 7-Elevens on the Outer Banks of North Carolina as far south as Whalebone Junction and some more in eastern NC in places like Manteo, Grandy, Elizabeth City and Coinjock.

They're probably an outgrowth of the 7-Elevens in Hampton Roads. In any case, they're all south of Petersburg, and I don't think that part of NC can be considered part of the Richmond-Petersburg area.
Had a hunch that 7-11 was still in the Hampton Roads market or only recently demised, but traveling 1-95 south, the Petersburg area was the last 7-11 I saw until Florida. Much of the Outer Banks and Eastern North Carolina market is linked more to Eastern Virginia than North Carolina-for years Norfolk and Richmond dwarfed most North Carolina cities and much of Eastern North Carolina and the Outer Banks in particular where more easily accessible from Virginia than from Raleigh and Central and Western North Carolina.

Safeway operated a few stragglers in North Carolina, I think Roanoke Rapids and a couple in the Outer Banks as part of its Richmond branch of the Eastern(DC) division. Most Colonial/Big Stars were part of the Norfolk division rather than the Raleigh division-most predating Colonial, as Penders, when it was a Norfolk based company. Eastern NC is still something of a stepchild in North Carolina politics and the economy with the exception of Wilmington and the Outer Banks and a few scattered towns like Greenville and Goldsboro.
Edric Floyd
Veteran

Post by Edric Floyd »

Good photos!

The former Winn-Dixie in Hinesville Georgia was a conversion to the "Marketplace" format in the mid 1990's. Many small town Georgia stores were standard Winn-Dixie stores with that conversion and looked exactly like the one in the photo.

The HUSTLER HOLLYWOOD store in Florida looks like it was one of the former FOOD FAIR stores. I am originally from South Florida and the oldest supermarkets in Hollywood, Miami Beach and Ft. Lauderdale that looked like the Hustler store were either Food Fair or possibly A&P stores into the early 1970's. Many of them became Pantry Pride supermarkets and lasted into the 1980's.

If that Hustler Hollywood store was on US-1, I do remember a Pantry Pride on US-1 in Hollywood that was open until around 1988 or 89. There was one in a shopping center and one that was more curbside with side parking.

Some of these older stores also spent their "after market" life as a Mayhew's Liquor store (former S. Florida chain), early Blockbuster Video stores and a couple of the first "Peaches" record & Tape stores were also housed in simular buildings although Peaches covered their exteriors with wood in accordance with their wooden crate motif.

Also, I noticed an old "FARM STORES" drive up store. These were all the rage when I was a small child. Buy the mid 1980's they were all the rage with criminals who found those stores very easy to rob. (no visibility to the street day or night in many cases). These stores specialized in milk and dairy products and expanded over time to carry other products in those little kiosks. I am surprised to see any of them still in existance.
Last edited by Edric Floyd on 29 Jul 2007 07:32, edited 1 time in total.
Steve Landry
Veteran

Post by Steve Landry »

Hey Fredric ;)

The Hollywood store was a Food Fair and the Fort Lauderdale store was an A+P. Hustler in Ft. Lauderdale is "caddy corner" to a new Publix.

:)
The Food Fair Empire
Edric Floyd
Veteran

Post by Edric Floyd »

Steve Landry wrote:Hey Fredric ;)

The Hollywood store was a Food Fair and the Fort Lauderdale store was an A+P. Hustler in Ft. Lauderdale is "caddy corner" to a new Publix.

:)

Thanks Steve! My memory is better than I thought. :)

I HAVE A CORRECTION!!, the Hustler Hollywood store in the photo IS THE ONE IN FORT LAUDERDALE. (not Hollywood Florida) The building in the background is a Walgreens store across the street that was built in the early 1990's. And there is a new Publix on that corner, it replaced one that was a few blocks west near the SearsTOWN.

I looked up the address (via the Hustler Hollywood store website) and discovered it was at 1500 E Sunrise Blvd in Ft. Lauderdale. They don't have a store in the city of Hollywood Florida but the flagship is located in Hollywood California

YES, the Hustler store in Florida was an A&P when I was very very young. It became a PEACHES record store around 1974. I actually bought my first records at that very store as a child when it opened and my family shopped there for years.

The Peaches store was open at least 20 years at that location.

As I mentioned in a previous post, Peaches records had covered the entire building with a wood facade as their wooden crate motif.
drpep
Contributor

Post by drpep »

FYI, I had no idea the Hustler store was a former supermarket. I changed the description to Fort Lauderdale.
I remember at least two more Farm Stores in the Fort Lauderdale area although one was not a drive up.
Steve Landry
Veteran

Post by Steve Landry »

ahhhhhhhh okay. I thought the old Food Fair in Hollywood near Young's Circle had been converted to a video store (via info from a friend). So, I presumed it was a second Hustler. I wonder if it is still standing (that store was my first assignment as a store manager).

BTW.....the Walgreens in Ft. Lauderdale is much newer than that. There is a store behind it that was a Walgreens and now a liquor store. Are you thinking about that one? The new Publix and Walgreens were erected within a few months of each other (2005?).
The Food Fair Empire
Edric Floyd
Veteran

Post by Edric Floyd »

Steve Landry wrote: BTW.....the Walgreens in Ft. Lauderdale is much newer than that. There is a store behind it that was a Walgreens and now a liquor store. Are you thinking about that one? The new Publix and Walgreens were erected within a few months of each other (2005?).
I remember the older Walgreens which was built in around 1990 (not sure about the exact year). I noticed the new store in late 2005 but didn't realize it was a new building. There had been so much remodeling or rebuilding in the area. I assumed it was the original store expanded with the strip mall. Many "older" buildings in South Florida are not recognizable from the original construction anyway. Also, it seems like there is a new Publix on every other corner. Most of those are new construction.