Mystery Interiors: Cleveland, OH

Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, North Dakota, Ohio, South Dakota, and Wisconsin.

Moderator: Groceteria

Daniel
Veteran

Mystery Interiors: Cleveland, OH

Post by Daniel »

I found these shots on some old TV footage. Anyone recognize the stores depicted? It could even be the same store, I don't know. The scenes are from the early 80's.

Sdorulla
Contributor

Post by Sdorulla »

The man with the bow tie is the late Congressman Charlie Vanik, who represented eastern Cuyahoga County (Cleveland) and probably parts of Lake and Geauga Counties for many years. The floor tiles and aisle markers say A&P to me, but the uniform on the cashier does not have any A&P color scheme that I remember. My guess would be that this was a former A&P store in Congressman Vanik's district that was taken over by another operator after A&P left northeast Ohio in 1979. (Stop-n-Shop? Valu King? maybe?)

Stan D.
Toby Radloff
Contributor

Post by Toby Radloff »

Wild guess...could this be the former Dave's store on Shore Center Drive (before Dave's moved across the street in a former Tops)? The old Dave's store is a former A&P. The aisle signs and floor tiles do look like A&P leftovers.
Daniel
Veteran

Post by Daniel »

A&P was one I hadn't thought of. Unfortunately there were no exterior shots in any of this footage, only the interior shots I posted. Would you say this interior was of 1960's vintage?
rich
Veteran

Post by rich »

Charles Vanik (who just died a month or so ago) kept an apartment on Lake Shore Blvd in Euclid--he was a long time frined of an aunt & uncle of mine, who were active in liberal casuses and the Democratic party in Cleveland.

This isn't the old A&P/Dave's. Could be the Henry Taylor & Sons Bi-Rite on Lake Shore at 222nd--an old c. 1949 Fisher's that had a long run as a Bi-Rite. Taylor took it over in the late 60s and did a modest remodeling at that time. They didn't do much with it afterward as I recall--the store lasted until fairly late in the 80s; it was very popular although only about 13K sf--Taylor had been a long running, well-liked independent in East Cleveland before moving here. It previously had a short run as a Nitti's, which had done avrey minimal remodel. That store had meat/deli on one side, produce & Dairy perpendicular to it, which looks like the set-up. The signage looks like what many Cleveland independents used. and different from the late 50s A&P style.

Another possibility--Holzheimer's on Lake Shore at E 264th (nearer to Vanik's Cleveland address), but the aisles look to wide--that store was/is very small and somewhat crowded, and with later signage than Taylor's. The signposts over tyhe cash registers look odd--don't really fit any store around there that I remember..