Uh...California.

Moderator: Groceteria

TheStranger
Veteran

1970s Raley's decor?

Post by TheStranger »

http://dtcwrt.earlracing.com/stores/sac.htm
http://dtcwrt.earlracing.com/stores/wsac.htm

The first photo here is of a store positively identified as a former Raley's, 400 El Camino Avenue in North Sacramento (at Traction Avenue).

The second photo here is of a store that uses the same decor package (slightly different wall colors) in West Sacramento (Broderick), at 940 Sacramento Avenue, former Route 16. Storewanderer and I suspect this is ex-Raley's as well, due to the common design elements between this and the above store.

(More decor shots can be seen on the URLs above)

Anyway, I'm wondering if this was definitely Raley's 1970s decor package - I've heard that this is not "original" to the 1960s, but I don't have any photos of either store from back then to confirm. Charles Hathaway told me of a Raley's history book that has photos of the 400 El Camino Avenue location from that era, so that may be a good source to double-check this with...
Chris Sampang
Groceteria
Great Pumpkin

Re: 1970s Raley's decor?

Post by Groceteria »

TheStranger wrote:Storewanderer and I suspect this is ex-Raley's as well, due to the common design elements between this and the above store.
I can't answer the interior question, but I can confirm that the Broderick store is definitely an ex-Raleys.
TheStranger
Veteran

Post by TheStranger »

Groceteria wrote:
TheStranger wrote:Storewanderer and I suspect this is ex-Raley's as well, due to the common design elements between this and the above store.
I can't answer the interior question, but I can confirm that the Broderick store is definitely an ex-Raleys.
Thanks! I know you had the El Camino Avenue store listed in your Sacramento directory as last having been a Raley's some time around 1980...same deal for the West Sacramento location?

I suspect that it closed when they moved to the store at West Capitol and Westacre.
Chris Sampang
Groceteria
Great Pumpkin

Post by Groceteria »

TheStranger wrote:I know you had the El Camino Avenue store listed in your Sacramento directory as last having been a Raley's some time around 1980...same deal for the West Sacramento location?
I don't know the time frame; it didn't show up in the city directories I used for research. I only know for sure it was a Raley's because it's featured in a company history I own. It was apparently the first store in West Sac and it opened in the late 1950s.