13960 Seal Beach Blvd.; Seal Beach, CA

Uh...California.

Moderator: Groceteria

storewanderer
Veteran

13960 Seal Beach Blvd.; Seal Beach, CA

Post by storewanderer »

From the abc.ca.gov site it appears this was an independent from at least 1982. Any thoughts on origin? http://www.grafeauction.com/auctions/I'm ... 6&State=CA
Photobucket now allows for comments on each photo! http://s196.photobucket.com/albums/aa113/StoreWest/
Jeff
Veteran

Post by Jeff »

http://www.ocregister.com/news/store-ma ... -residents

From the OC Register:
Leisure World residents protest closing of neighborhood market
About a dozen senior citizens bid farewell to the 40-year-old shop closing next week.
By JORGE BARRIENTOS
The Orange County Register
Comments 0 | Recommend 0

SEAL BEACH June Bowman has lived in Leisure World for 15 years and only shops at one store – Seal Beach Market.

The 88-year-old, who drives her electric scooter from the retirement community next door to shop, is trying to figure out what to do once the 40-year-old store closes next week.

Her freezer, she said, is filled with meat and vegetables as she stocked up before the closure.

"Driving my scooter here is the only way I can get groceries," she said. "It's the only place I can get to."

Bowman was one of about two dozen senior citizens in the 10,000-resident community who quietly protested the store's closing Friday at the store, and at the same time bid farewell to the place where they hung out and made friends.

The residents wore buttons that read, "SOGS," or, "Save Our Grocery Store."

Duane Pickerell, 91, organized the protest. Pickerell said he is sad and angry to see the store close. Like Bowman, he shops nowhere else.

"I have everything I needed right here," he said. "And now I'm losing this."

The market, on Seal Beach Boulevard and Westminster Avenue, which caters mostly to the senior citizens in the community, will close because building owners have upped its asking price, and market owners cannot afford to pay, said Steve Scarpa, general manager of the market.

Officials from Burnham USA Equities Inc., owner of the center, said it was the market that elected not to renew, even though Burnham tried to meet the market owner's needs.

Either way, a Roger Dunn Golf Shops store and a Longs Drugs pharmacy will split the 22,000-square-foot space in the Seal Beach Shopping Center.

The next closest grocery store, Albertsons, which is one mile over the I-405 on Seal Beach Boulevard, is closing in January. Senior citizens are upset because this leaves them – some of whom only drive electric scooters or are unable to carry groceries long distances – to shop at a Ralphs across from the Albertsons.

Bowman and disabled residents are now depending on friends at Leisure World or relatives to drive them to get groceries – an inconvenience, she said.

Leisure World provided shuttle services to the market regularly. It provides buses to Ralphs and nearby shops, but not as often as the shuttles that go to the market, residents said.

The incoming Longs Drugs will offer fresh produce, dairy, frozen and refrigerated foods and dry goods among other things, officials said, as a way to accommodate the residents. But the seniors say it won't be the same as Seal Beach Market.

The shelves and produce sections in the store are slowly getting bare as shoppers take the last of the inventory. The store is not ordering anything else, Scarpa said.

Helen Schlegel of Leisure World said residents signed petitions to keep the shop open, but it wasn't enough. The protest on Friday was more of a sad day, she said.

"It's like a second home," Schlegel said. "We're losing our home. But life goes on."
circlekkid
Contributor

Re: 13960 Seal Beach Blvd.; Seal Beach, CA

Post by circlekkid »

this was a former alpha beta. i took inside and out photos on the last day of seal beach market.