Shopping Bag Food Stores In Southern California

Uh...California.

Moderator: Groceteria

jtaylor79
Novice Member

Re: Shopping Bag Food Stores In Southern California

Post by jtaylor79 » 25 Jul 2017 11:12

luckysaver wrote:Here is Chad's original list updated with cross-streets and current occupants of the listed locations:

1000 E Valley Blvd, Alhambra/WEST OF NEW - FAZIO/ABS GROCERY WAREHOUSE-MAX FOODS-Lucky by Supervalu
300 W Main St, Alhambra/THIRD - Super A Foods
2408 Lincoln Ave, Altadena/FIGUEROA DR - (closed '73, was bombed by CLF) - LACT CHURCH
9927 Katella, Anaheim/BROOKHURST - Albertsons
1407 S Baldwin, Arcadia/NAOMI - DEMOLISHED/Super S store?/Savon DRUGS-CVS PHARMACY.
2150 N Glenoaks, Burbank/SCOTT - Demolished/SPLIT SHOPPING CENTER/MASONIC LODGE
Naval Weapons Center, China Lake
This location probably served the military families that lived on the base.
960 W Arrow Hwy, Covina/CA39 AZUSA AVE - MAX FOODS/GIGANTE
Firestone and Lakewood, Downey - Big Lots?
11039 E Valley Blvd, El Monte/TYLER - SPLIT SHOPPING CENTER/FINANCIAL SERVICES
16823 Foothill Blvd, Fontana/SIERRA - UHAUL/AMERICAN SELF STORAGE
1845 W Orangethorpe, Fullerton/BROOKHURST - 99CENTS ONLY
2904 N Brea St (Blvd), Fullerton/ROLLING HILLS - FIRST EVANGELICAL FREE CHURCH
331 N Glendale Ave, Glendale/CALIFORNIA - ALBERTSONS/WHOLE FOODS
Albertsons probably sold this location as part of the American Stores merger. I'll have to
check my list.
515 W Broadway, Glendale/PACIFIC - OFFICE DEPOT
517 S Glendora Ave, Glendora/RTE66 - Demolished for Albertsons? - STORAGE YARD/SPLIT/VACANT
City council recently had a conditional use permit hearing/future use on this lot.
920 Foothill Blvd, La Canada/EAST OF CA2 (ANGELES CREST HIGHWAY), PAC MOUNTAIN SPORTS/SPORT CHALET
3100 Foothill, La Crescenta/EAST OF PENNSYLVANIA - ORCHARD SUPPLY HARDWARE
1611 W Whittier Blvd, La Habra/HACIENDA - 99CENTS-KRAGEN AUTO PARTS/SPLIT SHOPPING CENTER
1111 Avenue I, Lancaster - ABS MAX FOODS GROCERY WAREHOUSE
15421 Amar Rd, La Puente/HACIENDA - FAZIO'S/SPLIT SHOPPING CENTER
part of the old side signage is there. About 25% of the building is a dental/medical
clinic.
140 W Foothill Blvd, Monrovia/MYRTLE - STARBUCKS COFFEE
127 N Garfield, Monterey Park/GARVEY - FAZIO'S/HONG KONG SUPERMARKET
earlier post mentioned that it was a one-time skating rink?
2280 Atlantic Blvd, Monterey Park/RIGGIN - SPLIT SHOPPING CENTER. STAPLES?
earlier post mentioned this being an Albertsons
815 E Avenue Q-6, Palmdale/SIERRA HWY - CITY OF PALMDALE PARKS/RECREATION HEADQUARTERS
3841 E Sierra Madre, Pasadena/MICHILLINDA - ALBERTSONS or ALBERTSONS-SAVON
451 S Sierra Madre, Pasadena/SAN PASCUAL - SAVON DRUGS-CVS PHARMACY
457 S Fair Oaks, Pasadena/BELLEVUE - NA
9130 E Whittier Blvd, Pico Rivera/CA19 ROSEMEAD BLVD - GIGANTE/SUPERIOR?
127 N. San Dimas Canyon, San Dimas/BONITA - NA. Civic Center Park?
8325 Foothill Blvd, Sunland/ORO VISTA - KRAGEN AUTO PARTS/SPLIT SHOPPING CENTER
304 E Foothill, Upland - DEMOLISHED/VALERO GAS STATION
913 S Glendora Ave, West Covina/N OF VINE - SPLIT SHOPPING CENTER
2470 N. Towne Ave, Pomona/ARROW - NA
1170 W. Garvey Blvd, West Covina - NA. Possibly the shopping center at Hollenbeck Ave.
2200 W. Valley Blvd, Alhambra/DATE - JACMAR PACIFIC PLAZA
1201 W. Whittier Blvd, Montebello/GREENWOOD - Demolished/Tianguis 80's/Superior.
2270 Huntington Drive, San Marino/SAN MARINO AVE - Demolished/WASHINGTON MUTUAL BANK (WAMU)
2256 Honolulu Ave, Montrose/OCEAN VIEW - GOUDAS & VINES AMERICAN RESTAURANT
44816 N. Beech Ave, Lancaster/LANCASTER - NA
2222 Colorado Blvd, Eagle Rock - WALGREENS PHARMACY

ABS stands for Albertsons.
Locations denoted NA means the lot is still there on the Google Satellite but a Google search of that address shows up no current tenant.

luckysaver
So I know this post is a little old but I want to kind of add something to it and hope there is some light shed on this....first of all, I am doing a small history project in the City that live in. In the City of Pico Rivera, we had a Shopping Bag Food Store located on Washington and Passons Boulevard. What I want to know is how long did that store operate and from what years?? The building still stands today and is currently a Big Saver Foods. As well, the address given at the above list, 9130 E. Whittier Boulevard, was that at any time a Shopping Bag as well? The current market building that exists there today was built in the mid 80's as part of a massive redevelopment project here in the City. The current tenant is a Superior Market. Prior to that it was a Gigante Supermarket (Supermarket Chain from Mexico), and prior to that it was Max Foods, a warehouse type store from Albertsons. Thanks!

pseudo3d

Post by pseudo3d » 02 Sep 2017 22:55

That list is definitely out of date; I don't think any Albertsons exist from the Shopping Bag days anymore. The Sierra Madre store closed a few years ago, there's only one picture of the inside from Yelp, and it looks like an ancient store that wasn't touched since before the blue-and-gray era.

Grog
Novice Member

Post by Grog » 03 Apr 2019 13:26

I lived across the street from the Shopping Bag located at Brookhurst & Katella in Anaheim from '57-'77. Used to bring a bag of tv tubes to the store to test on their tube-tester-what fun! Bought many a model to build in the '60's when that hobby was popular, as well as Hardy Boys series and Tom Swift Jr. novels.😎

Grog
Novice Member

Post by Grog » 03 Apr 2019 13:28

I believe that Shopping Bag on Katella is still an Albertsons's...