Mayfair Markets - Geography and History

This is the place for general and miscellaneous posts on topics which might extend past the boundaries of any specific region.

Moderator: Groceteria

pseudo3d

Re: Mayfair Markets - Geography and History

Post by pseudo3d » 23 Apr 2017 00:11

klkla wrote:There is an interesting article about Mayfair's history and legal problems here:
http://www.fundinguniverse.com/company- ... c-history/

Interesting thing is their description of Mayfair's history: "The company's history may be traced as far back as the 1933 incorporation of Western Dairies, Inc., a small California dairy operation that gradually expanded its geographic scope and product line to become a grocery retailer known as the Arden Farm Company beginning in 1940. By 1964, Arden Farms was ready for growth through acquisition. In October of that year Arden acquired Mayfair Markets, a chain of supermarkets in Los Angeles, creating Arden-Mayfair, Inc., later a subsidiary of the Arden Group. At the same time, Arden acquired a small chain of supermarkets from the Gelson Brothers. The Gelsons had opened their first store in North Hollywood in the late 1940s. "

But on the Gelson's website they have their own description: "We like to say there’s a little bit of Mayfair in every Gelson’s — its gusto, its cand-do spirit, its love for the customer — even though the last Mayfair Market recently became a Gelson’s. The Mayfair Connection actually began years before Gelson’s did. Estimates put the genesis of the chain sometime around the stock market crash of 1929. In 1948, eight existing California stores run by the Mayfair Companies were merged with 43 California Van’s Markets, both owned by Arden Farms Co., to create a new chain of stores: Mayfair Markets."

Don't know which version is accurate but I would assume it's Gelson's.
I would side with FundingUniverse, as company histories tend to distort their own history. I did a bit of research on Tom Thumb (the Texas supermarket owned by Safeway/Albertsons, not the Florida gas station owned by Kroger) and found that the grocery chain tried to rewrite history a la Ray Kroc and McDonald's.

klkla

Re: Mayfair Markets - Geography and History

Post by klkla » 23 Apr 2017 19:20

pseudo3d wrote:I would side with FundingUniverse, as company histories tend to distort their own history. I did a bit of research on Tom Thumb (the Texas supermarket owned by Safeway/Albertsons, not the Florida gas station owned by Kroger) and found that the grocery chain tried to rewrite history a la Ray Kroc and McDonald's.
You could very well be correct. Their history seems to be muddled in general.

The following article seems to corroborate Gelson's view. On the Gelson's site they say that they were acquired by Arden-Mayfair in 1966. Funding Universe says it happened in 1964. This article includes an image capture of the LA Times article from June 7th 1966 about completion of the acquisition and a July 13th, 1966 ad for the grand opening of Gelson's #3 in North Hollywood.

http://scalar.usc.edu/hc/forgotten-hist ... ayfair-inc

However, this next link is an actual SEC filing from the company made in 1995 (the company was known as Arden Group. Inc. by this time) in which they say:

"The first Gelson's store was opened in Burbank, California in 1946. Gelson's was incorporated in California in 1959 and in 1965, Gelson's, which then consisted of three stores, was acquired by Arden-Mayfair. Arden-Mayfair became a wholly-owned subsidiary of the Company (Arden Group, Inc) in a corporate restructuring completed in December 1978. The Mayfair markets were acquired in 1929 by Arden Farms, a dairy operation founded in 1925. In 1964 and 1965 Arden Farms underwent a corporate restructuring, and the name of the surviving corporation was changed to Arden-Mayfair, Inc. "

https://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data ... 001995.txt

So, if I was a betting man I would say that Arden-Mayfair was created by the restructuring in 1964 and Gelson's was acquired two years later in 1966.