Sears store-within-a-stores over the years

Moderator: Groceteria

pseudo3d
Veteran

Re: Sears store-within-a-stores over the years

Post by pseudo3d »

BillyGr wrote: 19 Jan 2024 15:37
pseudo3d wrote: 18 Jan 2024 20:41 I don't know what the deal with this Sears having a "steak & seafood spectacular" thanks a group I'm in. I was intrigued and looked up to see if they had a leased meats department. No dice, but they did have a health food department run by Vitality Unlimited, with over 120 leased department in Sears (and five in Montgomery Ward).
That sounds like an outside group that set something up with them to be there for those days. Not necessarily Schwan's, but some type of company similar to that that sold items in bulk - maybe even through one of the major companies that usually distribute to restaurants.

That time falls at the end of the period where things still had some more control on a local basis, possibly even something an individual store manager arranged to try and boost sales at his store, by getting people to come for the food deals and hopefully buy other items while they were there (and then maybe see that it was a good place to shop and return).
The Sears meat promotions were at other stores. It's still a bit of an odd matchup--even in the day Sears wasn't known for fresh food, and they had to provide not only the freezer space but the return guarantees.
pseudo3d
Veteran

Post by pseudo3d »

retail_person_247 wrote: 03 Dec 2022 23:00 K B Toys used to have stores inside of Sears
From what I could tell these were done in the early 2000s as a seasonal thing and not a year-round thing.

I'm more interested in regional departments...
retail_person_247
Contributor

Post by retail_person_247 »

Did anyone mention the Bell Phone Centers yet?

They were a chain of stand alone phones stores operated by the Bell System before having some short-lived departments (around 3 years) inside of select Sears locations,

All of them were converted into AT&T Phone Centers, which included the Sears departments

(More info about it here for the interested:)
https://defunct-brands.fandom.com/wiki/ ... nter_Store
Retail_247
BatteryMill
Contributor

Post by BatteryMill »

pseudo3d wrote: 12 Mar 2024 16:54
retail_person_247 wrote: 03 Dec 2022 23:00 K B Toys used to have stores inside of Sears
From what I could tell these were done in the early 2000s as a seasonal thing and not a year-round thing.

So Macy's wasn't the first with Toys R Us...
retail_person_247
Contributor

Post by retail_person_247 »

BatteryMill wrote: 29 Mar 2024 14:22

Montgomery Ward had a full sized Toys "R" Us in their Gaithersburg MD location

https://www.washingtonpost.com/archive/ ... 90de2ba2f/
Retail_247
BatteryMill
Contributor

Post by BatteryMill »

retail_person_247 wrote: 30 Mar 2024 16:47
BatteryMill wrote: 29 Mar 2024 14:22

Sears' K-B Toys experiment sounds more similar to Macy's current Toys R Us partnership; that Wards/TRU joint venture focuses more on a full-size setup.
wnetmacman
Veteran

Post by wnetmacman »

BatteryMill wrote: 30 Mar 2024 17:03
BatteryMill wrote: 29 Mar 2024 14:22 So Macy's wasn't the first with Toys R Us...

Sears' K-B Toys experiment sounds more similar to Macy's current Toys R Us partnership; that Wards/TRU joint venture focuses more on a full-size setup.
I saw that store 5 years after Ward's went out of business. The TRU was independent of the store; it was still open then.
Scott Greer
pseudo3d
Veteran

Post by pseudo3d »

wnetmacman wrote: 02 Apr 2024 15:53
BatteryMill wrote: 30 Mar 2024 17:03

I saw that store 5 years after Ward's went out of business. The TRU was independent of the store; it was still open then.
So did they just have a large part of the store that had been walled off and abandoned after Montgomery Ward closed? ...or did they pull out long before? The 1997 bankruptcy killed the specialty store business (Lechmere, stand-alone Electric Avenue, etc.).
wnetmacman
Veteran

Post by wnetmacman »

pseudo3d wrote: 05 Apr 2024 19:32 So did they just have a large part of the store that had been walled off and abandoned after Montgomery Ward closed? ...or did they pull out long before? The 1997 bankruptcy killed the specialty store business (Lechmere, stand-alone Electric Avenue, etc.).
The store was subdivided.
Scott Greer
pseudo3d
Veteran

Post by pseudo3d »

wnetmacman wrote: 08 Apr 2024 14:54
pseudo3d wrote: 05 Apr 2024 19:32 So did they just have a large part of the store that had been walled off and abandoned after Montgomery Ward closed? ...or did they pull out long before? The 1997 bankruptcy killed the specialty store business (Lechmere, stand-alone Electric Avenue, etc.).
The store was subdivided.
I'm not sure if that was always the case. The article sure doesn't make it sound that way and another article I found (paywalled) suggests differently. It talks about how "Ward and TRU now share the building, with one common entrance, while operating two separate businesses" and talks about it as one store. I do remember seeing a photo once showing a Montgomery Ward and Toys R Us sharing two different entrances at the end of a mall. I don't know if they actually did that elsewhere or I'm imagining it.