Elkhart Martin's

Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, North Dakota, Ohio, South Dakota, and Wisconsin.

Moderator: Groceteria

pseudo3d
Veteran

Elkhart Martin's

Post by pseudo3d »

I was reading "Supermarket & Hypermarket Design 2" (great book full of great photos, the first one in the series is "borrowable" from archive.org), and there's a then-new Martin's Supermarket (not the one from Ahold) in Elkhart built around 1990 (give or take a year), which was said to be a former discount store. I assumed Kmart, but unless Bluepages is missing one, I couldn't find it there (they DID have a Kmart open in 1990 though...)

Is it possible it's one of the other obscure discount stores that died off by that time? (Kings, Cooks, Jamesway, Gold Circle)
Groceteria
Great Pumpkin

Re: Elkhart Martin's

Post by Groceteria »

I think I have a print copy of that book at home. I'll see what I can run down. I only got as far as South Bend and Mishawka when I was mapping the area.
pseudo3d
Veteran

Re: Elkhart Martin's

Post by pseudo3d »

Groceteria wrote: 12 Jan 2024 11:08 I think I have a print copy of that book at home. I'll see what I can run down. I only got as far as South Bend and Mishawka when I was mapping the area.
Sadly none of the stores had addresses, with only a few hints, and pretty much all of the stores shown have either remodeled years ago or closed down (or both).