Vintage Supermarkets in Movies and TV (Old Ones Only Please)

This is the place for general and miscellaneous posts on topics which might extend past the boundaries of any specific region.

Moderator: Groceteria

KSiteTV
Novice Member

Re: Vintage Supermarkets in Movies and TV (Old Ones Only Please)

Post by KSiteTV » 02 Sep 2019 18:02

I was watching an old episode of "Eight is Enough" from 1977 where little Nicholas ran away to a drug store that was very familiar to me as I live very close to where the pharmacy is now located!

The episode is called "Quarantine" and the drug store is now a CVS Pharmacy at the corner of Hollywood Way and Verdugo Ave. in Burbank. The Carl's Jr. seen with the original signage in the background closed about six months ago and is currently empty. This shopping center is a block from the Warner Bros. (former Columbia) Ranch.

I can't entirely tell if the building that now houses a Smart & Final Extra! existed at that time; in 1977, this shopping complex was rather new as the land was actually part of the Ranch lot that was sold off.

I found the video online here: https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x4u1tt3

Some shots can be found below.
eieclassic.jpg

klkla

Post by klkla » 04 Sep 2019 20:56

KSiteTV wrote:
02 Sep 2019 18:02
I can't entirely tell if the building that now houses a Smart & Final Extra! existed at that time; in 1977, this shopping complex was rather new as the land was actually part of the Ranch lot that was sold off.
The LA County Assessor's website shows both the Alpha Beta (currently Smart & Final) and the SavOn Drugs (Currently CVS) as being built in 1975 although some of the smaller buildings on the site were added 76, 77, and 78.

KSiteTV
Novice Member

Post by KSiteTV » 05 Sep 2019 14:25

Wow, I didn't know that CVS was a SavOn in those early days - it was still SavOn when I moved here, but assumed it was a more independent drug store when that Eight is Enough episode was shot. As far as I can tell, there was no visible signage for the name of the store within the episode.

Also did not realize that was an Alpha Beta originally! I knew there was one on Alameda (near the Pickwick Drive-In which is now a shopping center with a Pavilions, and mentioned earlier in this thread), but I didn't realize there was one this close.

Would you happen to know if the Vons at Lakeside Shopping Center was always a Vons?

klkla

Post by klkla » 05 Sep 2019 19:12

KSiteTV wrote:
05 Sep 2019 14:25
Would you happen to know if the Vons at Lakeside Shopping Center was always a Vons?
I assume it was always a Vons. I was thinking there was a chance that it might have been a Shopping Bag originally, but that is unlikely because it was built in 1962 and Vons had already bought Shopping Bag in March of 1960.

pokemonprime
Novice Member

Post by pokemonprime » 06 Sep 2019 16:41

In the Vietnam war film Born On The Fourth Of July (1989), the main character, before going off to Vietnam, is shown working at an A&P Supermarket and we get decent views of the store. However I'd guess it's a recreation for the film.